Essential Item One – The Knife (See "The Ten Essentials")





I don’t watch too much TV but when I do, one program I enjoy is “Modern Marvels”. Knives were featured on a recent episode and being a knife collector out of necessity I was very interested in this featured topic. ‘Necessity’ may not be the right word, I mean I need another knife like I need another hole in the head but I still seem to convince myself often of the “need” for another knife. Back to the Modern Marvel episode. One comment made by a true expert in this area was something to the effect that the real technology of the knife was in its edge. All other features of the knife, essentially the shape and size support this basic edged tool technology. I can’t really explain it but I understood the spirit of what he was saying. A word on the knife edge, it must be kept sharp! To keep the edge razor sharp, especially when big game hunting I carry honing steel.

The choice of knives you carry is mostly a matter of personal opinion, what you like, and for me to a stronger degree, experience. When in the field I usually carry at least one multi-tool in my pocket. Two of my favorites are shown in the picture provided. Both are Victorinox products. An upgrade to the tooth pick of my Swiss Army Knife was to trim the tip off the tooth pick and add a straight pin by heating the pin and melting it into the plastic of the tooth pick tool. A straight pin to me is more useful than a tooth pick, especially for digging out splinters.

When hunting small game I add another favorite, my Case brand two bladed Trapper knife. When hunting large game I add to these two knives an 8 inch fixed and curved bladed hunting knife shown on the bottom of the picture.

I like to hunt in more remote areas and since I am usually alone, I cannot carry a whole 700lb elk out by myself so I completely de-bone and carry the meat out in 50-80lb intervals. I take all the meat and I do mean all. You don’t eat the skin, fat, head or bones so why carry them out. Antlers of course are the exception to that rule. The workhorse for this daunting task is my Case Trapper knife. The larger hunting knife, while useful in making some cuts like separating the back strap from the back bone is, for me, largely ceremonial because it was my Grandfather’s hunting knife that I refitted with an elk horn handle. I hope to have a pictorial documentary this fall of how I field dress and de-bone and elk or deer in the field and carry it out. I don’t know anyone who does the job quite like my dad has taught me and hope to share what I know and perhaps combine it with your methods and thoughts on the subject.
My best advice to you in choosing a knife is to consider the tasks you will perform with your knife. Choose a knife that is well made and sturdy. Never abuse your knife and keep it sharp. If you routinely need a digging or chopping tool, then carry one. Fixed and locking blades provide an extra degree of safety and remember that bigger is not always better.

No comments: