Essential Item Three - Hat, Bandanna, Sunglasses & Combination Sunscreen/Insect Repellant, Lip Balm (See "The Ten Essentials)

Contrary to popular opinion, when it comes to outdoor clothing the most important factor is functionality over fashion. Of course these days you can usually get both. When I first started exploring the mountains around my childhood home, there were no outdoor clothing and equipment outlets in or near my home town. There were two sporting goods stores in my town. One was dedicated primarily to hunting and fising and the other, luckily for us was in part an Army surplus store. The first few years of backpacking were done with WWII and Korea era field packs, sleeping bags and mess kits. When I was 15, I purchased my first down sleeping bag and a large, very modern for the time, internal framed backpack from the first true mountain supply store that opened up on the main drag. Each item was manufactured by Wilderness Experience and I still have and occasionally use both.

I'm skipping ahead so let me step back for a minute and cover the topic at hand. Now when I was growing up, we were hardly allowed out of the house without a coat and hat. I still follow that practice and recommend that you do the same.

Hats, for warmer and hot weather I favor a light hat, sometimes a wider brim and will sometimes spray the hat with water repellant to make them resistant to rainfall while maintaining the ability to breath.

Bandannas are another versitile and light piece of clothing accessory. I always carry at least one with me at all times. I will sometimes add to this list a pair of light gloves as they are valuable not only for keeping your hands warm when the temperature drops but also for keeping your hands safe when collecting firewood or picking your way through rocky and/or brush-filled terrain.

Sunscreen is also important especially in higher altitudes. It may not seem warm enough to cause sunburn but sunburn has less to do with heat and more to do with ultraviolet radiation. A small tube of lip balm with sun protection will keep your lips from cracking due to sun and wind.

Insect repellant should contain DEET and you should always, as with any chemical product used on or in your body carefully read the directions especially when using products containing DEET.

Sunglasses are very important especially in the winter time. You want to avoid snow blindness. Snow blindness occurs from over exposure of bright light to your eyes. Snow blindness can be dangerous especially if it really does render you temporarily blinded in the field. Snow blindness is very painful and feels much like having a handful of sand thrown in your eyes. Time will eventually heal snow blindness but if time is of the essence as it usually is in a survival or emergency situation, you don't want nature to run its course until you can see again. I suggest carrying an extra pair on long or extended trips just incase your glasses are lost or damaged.

For colder weather, a heavier hat is necessary. Even in the summer in the Rockies it is advisable that you carry a stocking cap with you and wear it when you sleep. Like momma used to say, if you're cold, put on a hat. Momma may have not known that a large amount of your body's warmth is lost through your head, but this was sound advice nonetheless.

PS: I was made aware of an important clothing item that I will cover in greater detail whan I talk about clothes but still warrants mentioning now and that is the color of your clothing. While hunting most people will wear darker or even camo clothing. This choice has its advantages of course but during the spring and summer, I tend to lean more towards lighter clothing. One advantage is that lighter clothing will not absorb the heat of the day as readily and during tick season allows you to see these little critters crawling on you hopefully long before they dig into your skin and begin to feed. I will cover ticks and their removal in the First Aid Kit segment. What I will say is that you need to have pants that you can tuck into your socks, gaiters or tie off at the cuffs as an additional precaution against biting and burrowing insects. Always avoid bright colors and floral patterns as these typically attract more insects to you. Along with that is to avoid wearing colonge and perfume as this also attracts insects. During hunting season of course colonge and perfume just make you more detectable to your prey. Now some of you may favor using animal scents and attractants to mask the human smell, I do not. I will cover scents on later postings as we get closer to big game hunting seasons.

6 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

Up in the Northern forests of Wisconsin I noticed that blue was a poor choice of color for clothing, black flies seem to be attracted to it. Aftershave or cologne were a big no-no, unless you enjoy the company of mosquitoes. And don't forget to blouse those pant legs if you don't want a tic invasion!!

Great Blog so far SF, I am really enjoying it. Very informational!!

The Phosgene Kid said...

Cell phone - as irritating as they are it is nice to have Cell with you in case you get lost. We have had quite a few hikers and climbers out here who owe their lives to their cell hones as well as the brave rescue folks.

Sugarfoot said...

Thanks Phos, great comments. I added the clothing item and will go more into that topic when I do cover clothing/extra clothing.

Carring cell phones, change for a pay phone and other useful items will be covered in depth in a subsequent series on "Additional Useful Equipment".

The Phosgene Kid said...

I can see this as book or column in a sporting magazine . You should look into it. Combing your personal experiences with your advice makes this a pleasant read. Check out "A Sand County Almanac" if you haven't already.

The Phosgene Kid said...

Hi SF, how is the book coming???

Stranger said...

Yo Sug..whats up? Love the blog..sorry I haven't been able to catch u on msn recently..almost done my work stretch. Should have Tuesday off. Soo much to tell u..