Essential Item Two – The Map & Compass (See “The Ten Essentials)



A map is a most valuable tool when you have the knowledge to use it. A map not only tells you where you are and how far you have to go, it can also help you find water sources, shelter, civilization and dangerous terrain to avoid. Before going into a new area, I will spend several hours studying maps and planning a trip long before I ever set foot in the area. Using a compass with the map, even before you ever go to your desired hunting, fishing, hiking area will help you plot a course and keep you oriented in unfamiliar territory.

There are countless resources available on how to use a map and compass. You may also find social groups and clubs in your area dedicated to the pursuit of land-based navigation. A favorite resource for the beginner and novice user is Map and Compass – Basic Essentials by Cliff Jacobson. This is a widely distributed publication and can be found nearly everywhere. I highly recommend this book and refer to it often when teaching youth groups and adults in orienteering and land-based navigation. I could dedicate volumes of information to the use of maps and since there are so many other great resources, I’ll leave this to the experts.

With maps, size does matter and road maps, while valuable for a road trip have very little value when in the field. When navigating myself cross-country, which is my preferred method of travel I usually stick to the 7.5 minute USGS maps. This size of map reveals considerably more detail. For general use, trail hiking and scouting out new hunting areas I will use a 1:24,000 map like the one shown in the attached picture. I recommend that you always waterproof your maps. If I am only going to use a small portion of the map for a specific purpose I will sometimes cut off the margins of the map and paste the most useful information back onto the map before laminating to make the map a little smaller and easier to quickly reference information. There’s probably no real benefit in that practice and I’m the only person I know who does that.

The compass. I use a simple compass shown in the picture. I will sometimes pin a small compass onto the shoulder strap of my pack just for quick reference.

A word on GPS (Global Positioning System) tools. I have one, a simple unit I picked up several years ago. I use it to help mark areas of interest on my map, an elk watering hole, a favorite fishing spot, to mark the area of a kill to make it easier to get back to it and in the event of an emergency to relay information to rescuers. The GPS supplements my map and compass in navigating but I still don’t use it as a primary navigation tool. Maybe I’ll change my mind on it but there have been a few times where my GPS has been less than accurate and it has always made me distrust the technology. Now, that doesn't in any way mean that there is a fault in the technology. Being fiercely old school in many ways the problem is likely the user interface, me. I do some limited Geocaching and still use a map and compass especially when going to a new area. I use the tips that are sometimes given on a local Geocaching web page, match as best I can the features called out then with my trusty GPS in hand I head out to find another treasure. Since I'm just getting into Geocaching I don't have much to say yet other than I always go prepared and that is what this blog is dedicated to, being prepared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.